Hello again Urbanites.  Here is a Saturday "sneak peek" at what I have been working on recently (now that my Janome MC1100 is FINALLY out of the shop- YAY!  LOVE my machine.).

 This dress is for my soon to be four year old and is meant to be a dress with "room to grow".  Unfortunately, I don't have any before and after pics, but the bottom half is easy to visualize as it was EXACTLY as you see it now.  It was an old skirt of mine, I think from high school or college, and as I never throw a useful scrap of cloth away...this has been just sitting in my craft closet, waiting for it's debut..

 It has a very full skirt, which meets the requirements of the four year old :)  and I am not too keen on the route 66 pattern on the skirt, it is a cute and appropriately colorful one for my daughter.

So what is the top made of?  The top is an egg shell off-white cotton sleeveless top that once belonged to an older woman who decided to clean out her closet.  So not only do I NOT throw fabric away, I also collect it in whatever form it comes.

  So I pinned the two pieces together and sized them to my daughter.  Whenever I do this, I am really a "just get in there and do it person" rather than a "lets measure and make a pattern" person.  My daughter was brave enough to allow me to do all this while she was wearing the dress, and that was the discerning factor in whether or not I could get away with no measuring this time. 

But after fitting and then sewing together, there was a new problem.  I wanted this to be a dress that had "room to grow", but it was already a little on the tight side- not when it was on, but when it was being pulled on.  So because the arm hole on one side was already aligned with the skirts side zipper, I could just open up the sleeve and re-sew it on each side of the zipper.  So now the zipper will close up the under arm after dressing and then a bow will be tied at the top.

 So, I said that I fitted it to my daughter.  How did I do that?  Well, I think that one of the perks of sewing adult clothes into children's clothing is that I can cheat and use existing seams and basic shapes.  It is kinda like starting out with a short-cut.  For this dress I put in a pleat that goes down the back of the top and is continued down through the skirt.  Once again, I eyeballed this.  First I just pleated it so that it looked appropriate with the shape of the neck line in the back, then when I put it on my daughter I fitted it more to her and to the waist of the skirt.  It actually did not require much adjustment.

Here is a close-up of the pleat in the back.

 This is how the neck line looks in the front at the moment.  That embroidery is part of the original top.  I have a piece pinned across to raise up the neck line and afterwards I think that I plan to put in some ruffles down the front from the neck line to the waist band...not decided yet.  The embroidery is not so bad, but a small part of it was sewn over resulting in a crooked look that I am not sure that I can live with and taking out the stitching is not an option.

Here is a look at how full the skirt is.

SO, I will have to see how the front on the dress turns out.  As soon as that is done, the dress will be complete.  :)


  1. oh megan it is beautiful! I love it....gotta ask...your flooring...is that the actual floor or carpet...It is so ethnic and gorgeous. sorry...but I had to ask...it caught my eye.

    1. It is a very large area rug that we were lucky enough to receive as a "hand-me-down" when we moved here.


Powered by Blogger.